Monday, October 4, 2010

My little "pre-test" excuse the spelling errors...

I feel that the best way for me to retain the information we have learnt in Family Studies is through rewriting my notes. I strongly feel that this approach will give me the essentials I need for the exam. Also, I think it is extremely important to reflect on my past study habits for future tests. Moreover, I hope to evaluate my studying strategy and improve upon it. This test will underline how much I know, and also provide some ground for restructuring my study habits. Without further ado, I would like to get started. For my own purposes I am going to close my notes, and attempt to rewrite everything I know about family studies. This technique will help me master the material.
Wish me luck, I’m thinking of this as a little pre-test.

1.The Videos we watched in class.

•Alfred Kinsey- His work was somewhat biased, because he only took samples from people whom were willing to share their sexual experiences. Kinsey asked deep questions about sex, for example, how many times do you have sex with your partner a week? These questions helped him get a biased interpretation of societies sexual habits and beliefs.
•The Vagina Monologues- Women willingly talking about their bodies in an environment that discourages that behaviour. This particular chapter that we saw was from the title known as “My Vagina is angry”. Essentially, the speech is revolved around the idea of unfairness and such towards women, whom are taken advantage of, and have it hard because they have to put tampons in their vaginas. This film takes a critical Analytical point of view on Habermas’ paradigms.
•Dicks Exposed- This film portrayed a handful of naked men, in which they were to openly express therei sexual opinions on sex. The film had a range of subjects, from older men to young guys, who were either straight, bi-sexual, or gay. This film took a situational interpretive view on Habermas’ paradigms.
•Everything you wanted to know about sex but were afraid to ask. This film was originally a book, that was released in the 1960’s... thats all I know about this film.

2.Dudes and girls that we need to know for this examination.

•Masters and Johnsons. Believed men and women had a similarities and differences when it came to sexual response. Had a term called Vasocognition which is used to describe a blood rush to erect something? Masters and Johnson also had a term known as Mytongia, in which the muscles would tense up during sexual encounters. These theorists also derived their study into 4 stages which described a mans and womens experiences during sex and sexual arousal. The first stage is the excitement phase. Men= Vesgognition of penis, women=Erection of clit, breasts. Both experience increased heart rate, blood pressure and mytognia. The second stage is known as the plateau phase. Men=Testes get ready for ejaculation Women Clit goes and hides in hood. Vag viral 1/3 contracts in the outer, 2/3s expands in inner. The orgasmic phase Men=muscle to release sperm. Women=muscle spasms in pelvic area, 3-15 contractions. Resolution stage Men=Refractory period women=blood flows out of pelvic area.
•Freud: Was absolutely crazy! He believed that women had a penis envy,(they wanted a penis) he had two types of orgasms. The clitoral orgasm: immature in Freud’s eyes. Women only get a vaginal orgasm after having a child, then that desire for a penis goes away. Vaginal Orgasm: Mature.
•Bassone: Believer that sex was built upon by intimacy. She was also a feminist.
•Kaplan: Sexual therapist, helped people with sexual issues in relationships. Desire: unique, desire could be low which can be damaging the relationships. By desire I mean desire for sex! Excitement: Premature erections for men, or premature lubrication for women. Last but not least, the Orgasmic stage: Premature ejaculation of men, (men release sperm to soon for woman to become sexually stimulated) and women not ejaculating at all (because the man either sucks at sex (kidding), or she cannot ejaculate)

3.Misc items we probably need to know:

•Habermas Paradigms. Empirical Analytic (scientific realm), Critical Theoretical (same as empirical, but carries the political trait!) and situational interpretive (Personal emotional, for ex) how did it feel when you kissed your girl friend for the first time?)
•The feminist waves (Rob Nellis said today in class, that these are good to know-probably a bit of a hint?) first wave: Women wanted political rights to vote. Second wave, women wanted to expand rights (to medical care, same jobs etc.) also women in this particular wave felt that there sexual representation was being demeaned. An ex) girls in bathing suits handing out drinks at the bar. Third wave is the opposite of the second wave, in which women feel that they are empowered, for example) Meghan Fox, gets a job as an actor because she is hot! The 4th wave is a religious view point.
•Caster: Some athlete that was either a hymphrodite or an intersexual person.
•Hymphrodite: Carrying a female, and male tissue. 1/1000 person is a hymphrodite
•Principles of critical thinking 1. Be skeptical 2. Examine the definition of terms 3. Examine the assumptions of argument 4. Consider the types of evidence 5. Be cautious from drawing conclusions from evidence. 6. Consider different interpretations of evidence. 7. Do not oversimplify 8. Do not over generalize

There you have it. It probably feels like I just regurgitated my notes, however, if this word document was a computer, I promise it would be a hell of a lot smarter! I legibly rewrote all my notes without looking at my notebook (I’ll just ask you to take my word for it, because in the end this is for my benefit right?) I may have missed a few things, or details, and if I did, I will go back to my notes and brush up on those areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment