Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Education That Will Stick With me for the rest of my life

 Human sexuality, how does thee faintly recall? Was it in middle school? I think it was taught sometime in highschool, but when? Oh yes, I remember now. The first time a penis was flashed on the video screen the entire class giggled. I'm not sure if it was the size of the penis, or just the fact that it was in fact a penis.

  Honestly, I can't say I remember much from "Health class".  Health 9 existed, but how old was I then? 14? 15? was I sexually active? if you count a kiss on the cheek then yes? By that age, hell I was still thinkin that girls had cooties! Then I think there was some CALM class that I thought was an absolute joke. I vaguely remember talking about a vagina in that class, but I think it was only for a day or two.

My notes state: Access to information about sex is NOT widely available. They also say that sexual education curriculum is not unified with an sort of standards. My question is then why is Health a course then? Why is CALM a class?

The statistics we learned today reflect upon this lack of education we have access to about sexual intercourse. I mean its no wonder 25% of CANADIAN women have HIV or AIDS. The problem is completely obvious, in schools they stop teaching Health once a student reaches 17 if that, depending if the student takes CALM in grade 10 or 11. With that said though, CALM focuses more on writing a cheque, or choosing good roommates than sexual intercourse. Instead, its required that students have English 30, where they analyze the shit (excuse language) out of a poem and try to regurgitate the meaning from it. Where is the line drawn? Where does school and reality finally meet up? I mean it sure is nice to able to take the derivative of a function from integrated calculus, but where is one going to apply this knowledge in the real world? If they become an Engineer, possibly, but what about the stuff that matters, the ultimate intimacy between a couple: sexual intercourse.
 
Whats even more frustrating for me personally is to see that several catholic schools require that a student takes religion 30. So what this tells me is that the Alberta curriculum will teach students about a higher being (that is completely subjective to opinions and beliefs) rather than health, which is influencing every single person daily. Doesn't this seem a bit off? In my opinion, they should make sexual education a 30 level course, that is required upon graduation. I mean, why not? English, which is again extremely subjective is required, why not the basic fundamentals of life. These fundamentals seem like common sense, but in reality, the statistics prove that young people are not being overly cautious when it comes to sexual intercourse.

This is not my way of sucking up, but as a student, I have learned more about the ideas, problems, and theories that surround the notion of sex in Family Studies. With this said, I strongly believe that Family Studies should be widely available to all students, and possibly required in grade 12. This class has educated me thoroughly about many of the ideas that surround life. This is knowledge that I will apply to the real world, knowledge that will come in handy in the future. Even though it is only a general overview of such an enormous topic, I have still become aware of many important topics, that should have been taught to me much sooner in my eyes.
Thanks for hearing me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment